Annual General Meeting 2021
In light of the current COVID-19 situation, the 38th AGM of the Australian Vietnamese Women’s Association was held from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm on Thursday, 11 November 2021.
The meeting was hybrid and held in our new Springvale office for a small number of participants face to face and online.for guests and other staff members
The meeting was divided into two segments: the Vietnamese segment (from 10:30 am to 11:00 am) and the English segment (from 11:30 am - 12:00 pm). There was a 30 minutes break in between the two segments.
The Committee of Management and guests in Springvale Office, November 2021
Ms. Thanh-Kham Tran-Dang OAM - President welcomed committee members and guests
The MC of the Vietnamese segment was Mr Huy Luu, Operations Manager and the MC of the English secgment was Mr Tuan Bui, Assistant Operations Manager.
Below is a summary of the decisions/announcements made at the Annual General Meeting for the financial year 1st July 2020– 1st July 2021:
- The items for deliberation at this year’s AGM are our financial and statutory reports for the financial year ended 30 June 2021;
- The total revenue was $19.47 million compared to last year $16.24 million. The costs jumped from $14.1 million to $17.99 million mostly due to the increased number of staff, equipment and infrastructure to support effective working from home arrangement. With the unprecedented COVID 19 challenge, AVWA moved efficiently from strategic to scenario planning.
- The Auditor for this year was DFKBKM, who declared that AVWA’s practices were compliant with the Australian Accounting Standards, and other requirements.
- Additional information about AVWA’s performance is contained in the 2021 Annual Report, which can be viewed on AVWA’s website.
- Cam Nguyen received the award of 2021 Victorian Senior Australian Of The Year in October 2020 and was invited to Canberra to meet with the P.M., the Governor General and other VIPs.In addition, two members of the Committee of Management, President Kham Tran Dang and Hon. Treasurer Yen Bui were both awarded OAM on the Queen’s Birthday in June 2021.
- Announcement of retirement of two long-serving Committee members: Vinh Nguyen and Kat O’Reilly. Both were thanked by Mrs Cam Nguyen and gave short good-bye
Ms. Pham Ho - AVWA Secretary 2021 - 2022
In accordance with the usual election procedure, the following members will be serving in the Committee of Management in the year 2021-2022:
- President Thanh-Kham-Tran-Dang (OAM)
- Vice President Pro. Trang Thomas AM
- Secretary Pham Thi Thanh Ho
- Treasurer: Yen Bui OAM
- Ordinary committee members: Karen Hucks and Cam Nguyen
To show appreciation for staff engagement and loyalty, the Committee of Management continued to implement ongoing acknowledgement of employees who had served 5, 10, 15, 20 and more years.
Ms. Yen Bui OAM (Treasurer) và Ms. Vinh Nguyen (announced her retirement from 2021)
Since the AGM took place on November 11th, at the eleventh hour, all participants observed a minute silence to show respect to those soldiers who died fighting to protect the nation.
Ms. Kat O’Reilly - a former committee member announced her retirement from 2021
Prof. Trang Thomas AM - Vice President
Ms. Cam Nguyen - CEO, 2021 VIC Senior Australian Of The Year
For entertainment purpose, in between the Vietnamese and English segments, there were four musical performances by members of our playgroups:
Tracy (Trang) Pham